PLAYOFFS! PLAYOFFS! WE'RE TALKING PLAYOFFS!
By Kevin Hastings @KevinHastings
Hello football fans! It’s that time of the year again! It’s time for my NFL Super Bowl Power Poll and NFL Pick’em. Each week I eliminate a team from Super Bowl contention and rank the rest of the teams in order of chances to win the title. To be in the Top 12 you must be qualified for the playoffs, so there will be an equal number of teams from the AFC & NFC in the Top 12. Everyone else? Good luck and don’t get eliminated! Read the article each week online and enter to win $50 online by picking each week’s games online at whatsupshopper.com.
ELIMINATED: Bills, Raiders, Cardinals, 49ers, Colts, Giants, Jets, Broncos, Browns, Lions, Jaguars, Buccanneers, Panthers, Packers, DOlphins and Bengals.
Tennessee Titans (9-7) The injury to quarterback Marcus Mariota finally did this team in. While the defense was good enough to compete, the offense has to find a way to produce better before they turn into Jacksonville.
Minnesota Vikings (8-7-1) These next two teams could have made the playoffs if only they didn't tie a game this season. While some folks say they didn't lose, but in the end, not a single team that tied this season made the playoffs. Kirk Cousins played well this season. Look to the defense when you're looking to blame someone.
Pittsburgh Steelers (9-6-1) Bell and Brown now both want out of Pittsburgh. The Steelers were 4th in offense and 8th in defense and didn't make the playoffs. I'll never understand why these young men can't respect and listen to a two-time Super Bowl champion. Same thing happens in New York and it's just crazy.
WILD CARD TEAMS NEED ROAD WINS
12. Indianapolis Colts (10-6) The Colts snuck into the playoffs after a horrid start in which we eliminated them here from Super Bowl contention. With that in mind, I had to rank them 12th but dang their hot right now.
11. Philadelphia Eagles (9-7) Speaking of hot, nobody gets as hot as Nick Foles with his back against the wall. Come on Philly, if they defend this Super Bowl, there's no way they can get rid of Foles. They are the only team in the playoffs that didn't win 10 games this season.
10. Seattle Seahawks (10-6) Is this what you wanted Cowboys fans? The Seahawks coming into town for a playoff game? The Seahawks have been intertwined with the Panthers and Boys playoffs the past few seasons.
9. Los Angeles Chargers (11-4) That sound you hear is everyone's ankles breaking while jumping off this bandwagon. The AFC is tougher than we thought before the season.
8. Baltimore Ravens (10-6) I really worry about this team the most. They have a quarterback controversy and the Chargers have already played Jackson, so they know what's coming. This could be a blowout in Baltimore.
7. Dallas Cowboys (10-6) If I had little confidence in the Ravens, I have even smaller confidence in the Cowboys. Dak Prescott doesn't win unless his defense plays great (they haven't given up 30 points all season until the final game last week) and/or Zeke gets 100 yards.
6. Chicago Bears (12-4) I'll never forget that Trubinsky couldn't beat Dook or NC State. How could I pick this team to win with that in mind?
5. Houston Texans (11-5) Don't pick a running quarterback to win the Super Bowl. It's only happened once, Russell Wilson, and I'm not sure to call him a run-first quarterback. Watching the Texans play looks like watching a younger, slighter Cam Newton and the Panthers.
FIRST ROUND BYES
4. Los Angeles Rams (13-3) Can this team survive the turmoil and actually win their first playoff game? It's going to be hard because Chicago or Seattle is probably coming to town.
3. Kansas City Chiefs (12-4) Every year one of the top four seeds lose in the first game. The Chiefs and Rams both have choker written across their faces with untrusty defenses. Support these teams at your behest.
2. New England Patriots (11-5) Don't forget this team is one Gronk missed tackle away from being the #1 seed. If the Chiefs lose at home in Round Two, the Pats are going back to the Super Bowl,
1. New Orleans Saints (13-3) Before the season I picked the Saints to beat the Patriots in the Super Bowl. There's no reason to change that now! Who dat sey dey gone beet dem Saints? Nobody.
NFL Pick'em & Power Poll
WIN $50 IN
Pick the winners from the games below. Each week you can ENTER ONLINE BELOW, by fax, or email. Each game right is worth one point. The game with *** is worth 3 points AND is the tiebreaker game. Please enter your guess for total points for that game as well. Good luck! Deadline is Sunday’s by Noon.
My picks in ALL CAPS!
FINAL NFL PLAYOFFS $50.00 PICK'EM
PICK OUT YOUR PLAYOFF SCENARIORS ALL THE WAY TO THE SUPER BOWL. REMEMBER LOWER SEEDS WILL HAVE TO TRAVEL TO HIGHER SEEDS. MY PICKS ARE BELOW IN CALL CAPS!
ALL PLAYOFF PICKS MUST BE IN BY SATURDAY, JANAURY 5 BY NOON. THE FIRST ROUND IS SET IN STONE. AFTER THAT YOU MUST PUT THEM IN THE RIGHT ORDER.
#6 Colts @ #3 TEXANS
#5 CHARGERS @ #4 Ravens
#6 EAGLES @ #3 Bears
#5 SEAHAWKS @ #4 Cowboys
#5 CHARGERS @ #1 Chiefs
#3 Texans @ #2 PATRIOTS
#6 Eagles @ #1 SAINTS
#5 SEAHAWKS @ #2 Ramas
#5 Chargers @ #2 PATRIOTS
#5 Seahawks @ #1 SAINTS
SAINTS over Patriots
PRESEASON NFL PLAYOFFS
winners in caps
ROUND 1 - WILD CARD
#6 Jaguars @ #3 Chargers
#5 Ravens @ #4 TEXANS
#6 Vikings @ #3 SAINTS
#5 Falcons @ #4 GIANTS
ROUND 2 - DIVISION
#4 Texans @ #1 PATRIOTS
#5 CHARGERS @ #2 Steelers
#4 Giants @ #1 Packers
#3 SAINTS @ #2 Rams
#5 Chargers @ #1 PATRIOTS
#4 Giants @ #3 SAINTS
NEW ORLEANS SAINTS
over New England Patriots